What Makes Our Travel Guides Unique
Other Places Publishing is a small, independent publisher focused on a new series of travel guides that bring local insight, culture and adventure to the intrepid traveler. What makes our series of travel guides so unique is that each book is written and researched by long-time residents of each country. Not only do our writers live in-country, they are all former Peace Corps Volunteers having experienced a culture and people like few outsiders can.
Peace Corps sends adventurous volunteers overseas for 27 months of service, including intensive cultural and language training. During their service, Peace Corps Volunteers often live with local families, become intricate parts of their communities, and experience everything their countries have to offer. PCVs can hardly be considered as “expatriates,” but rather as locals. Living, working and playing all while making their host country a second home (in fact, many of our writers remained in country after their service).
With only a small, monthly stipend, PCVs are notorious for discovering hidden eateries often flocked by working locals. They know those “most bang for your buck” guesthouses with million dollar views. And traveling across country while making friends and discovering new spots is no problem either.
We sometimes venture into the realm of publishing other works, including travelogues and photographic works. All of our titles, however, have a travel theme (hence Other Places).
The perspectives and experiences of PCVs are truly unique. We hope you check out our new series of travel guide and be sure to let us know what you think: email@example.com.
About the Peace Corps
The Peace Corps traces its roots and mission to 1960, when then Senator John F. Kennedy challenged students at the University of Michigan to serve their country in the cause of peace by living and working in developing countries. From that inspiration grew an agency of the federal government devoted to world peace and friendship.
Peace Corps Volunteers submerge themselves in local culture as part of their training. In order to help the people they serve, they must live, work and learn alongside locals. Peace Corps Volunteers are on the front lines tackling issues ranging from AIDS education to information technology and environmental preservation. Since John F. Kennedy called those to serve, over 200,000 Peace Corps Volunteers have served in 139 host countries. Peace Corps Volunteers continue to help countless individuals who want to build a better life for themselves, their children, and their communities.
Other Places Pubishing has no affiliation nor assocation with the U.S. Peace Corps. All of our writers and researchers are former Peace Corps Volunteers.
Do you have unique insight into your country of service? Are you passionate about its history, people and culture? Do you know those hidden spots along with practical information for travelers? Can you write with flair? If so, Other Places Publishing would love to hear from you!
Our vision is simple: to have Returned Peace Corps Volunteers write travel guides about their countries of service. We believe that RPCVs know their countries of service better than anyone and possess invaluable information for travelers.
We are particularly interested in PCVs who will COS in the next 1-6 months and wish to remain in-country to research and write a travel guide. We will, however, consider all PCVs and RPCVs willing to remain in-country or travel to their country of service. We've also published a couple of travle guides written by locals (not RPCVs) with strong ties to their countries of residence.
If you're up to the challenge, tell us a little about yourself and the region, country or city you're interested in writing about. Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!
An independent travel guide publisher whose customer base is in the United States and Europe is seeking a Online Marketing Specialist / Community Manager to grow the online presence of our company and travel guides. We need someone who can execute a simple, yet effective, online marketing strategy. You'll be working solo, but with input and assistance from senior staff. Regular updates, including in person meetings when scheduled, are required.
This is an ideal position for a creative individual who is self-motivated, enjoys flexible hours, and is able to work independently while producing excellent results.
Duties / Scope of Work:
The Marketing Guru / Community Manager will be focused on building the overall brand of Other Places while marketing individual travel guides via online channels.
- Create, maintain, and build an audience across different social media platforms.
- Discuss and implement ways to drive sales and website traffic through social media platforms.
- Create SEO optimized blog posts (700-1500 words) to increase web traffic to company site and keep community engaged.
- Repackage travel guide contents into SEO optimized blog posts (limited research required, but keyword research is a must) for individual travel guide websites.
- Guest blogging to promote our brand and individual guides on more established blogs. Monitor web analytics (via Google Analytics) and create a checklist of goals for web traffic (KPIs).
- Promote guides through businesses, organizations, and groups.
- Build partnerships with businesses and organizations listed in our guides.
- Connect with tour operators and volunteer travel operators.
- Identify and build relationships with associated groups and individuals -- travel bloggers, travel writers, bookstores, media outlets, etc -- to assist in promoting our brand and books.
- Fluent in English
- Excellent writing and editing ability in English
- College graduate
- 2 years relevant experience
- Entertaining and engaging writer
- Demonstrated experience in effectively implementing an online marketing campaign
- Comfortable working with HTML and CSS
- Experience in graphic design
- Strong understanding of WordPress
- Strong understanding of Search Engine Optimization techniques and best practices related to content creation.
Please send CVs to email@example.com.